Contact Information

Elected Official:
Richard Skiles, Sheriff
(208) 882-2216
(208) 883-2281
sheriff or detectives
Latah County Courthouse - Courthouse Annex

Email questions or comments about the Latah County Sheriff's Office to sheriffquestions

Sheriff's Office
Frequently Asked Questions



Q: Where is the Sheriff's Office located?

A: We are located in the Latah County Courthouse. The entrance is on the southeast corner of the parking lot at Fifth and Van Buren in Moscow, Idaho. The jail entrance is on Sixth at Van Buren.

Q: What is the Sheriff's Office telephone number?

A: Our telephone number is (208) 882-2216. Our fax number is (208) 883-2281. Our Latah County only 800 number is 1-800-691-2012.

Q: When are visiting hours for the Latah County Jail?

A: Visiting hours for male inmates are 1 pm to 3pm Tuesday, 7pm to 9pm Thursday and 1pm to 4pm on Sunday. Visiting hours for female inmates are 7pm to 9pm Monday, 1pm to 3pm Thursday and 1pm to 4pm on Saturday. Adults must bring picture ID to visit an inmate. Juveniles must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.

Q: How do I apply for a Concealed Weapon Permit?

A: Complete the 3 application packet (available in our lobby or click on highlighted link Concealed Weapons Permit Forms.) and submit it in person to the sheriff’s office along with a copy of approved weapons training. Your application fee will be collected ($59.85 initial application or $37.85 renewal) and fingerprints will be taken.

Q: How do I get a copy of an accident report?

A: Usually, your insurance company will request a copy so you don't have to. If you do need a copy of an accident you were in, request one from the Records Department between 7am and 3pm, excluding holidays, Monday to Friday. You will need to provide the date, time and location of the accident and fill out a request for public records form.  There is no cost.

Q: How do I handle a dispute with my landlord?

A: Contact an attorney, or legal aid at the University of Idaho if you are a student there.

Q: How do I file a small claims action?

A: Contact District Court or an attorney, the Sheriff's Office does not handle filing those actions.

Q: How do I get a Protection Order?

A: Contact the Clerk of the Court or a private attorney to see if you qualify for a protection order and to apply for one. Restraining Orders are another issue. Contact an attorney for more information about restraining orders.

Q: How do I get a copy of my Driving Record?

A: Contact Driver Services in Meridian with a request for your Driving Record. The Sheriff's Office is not able to give out that information.

Sheriff's Sales

Q: How often are sales conducted?

A: There is no set schedule for sales.

Q: Where are sales conducted?

A: Sales are not always conducted at the same place due to stipulations of the law. Each Notice of Sale will clearly identify the location, date and time for that specific sale.

Q: Will I be notified if a sale is cancelled?

A: NO. Cancellations will be posted on the website as soon as possible, but you should call the Sheriff's Office Civil Department approximately ONE (1) HOUR prior to sale to make sure that the auction has not been cancelled. The Sheriff's Office does not send personnel to the sale location to notify potential bidders that a sale has been cancelled.

Q: Why are sales cancelled?

A: Most often it is because someone has paid the debt which incurred the property seizure and the property has been released to it's owner.

Q: If I purchase property at a Sheriff's Sale, can I write a check?

A: Yes. We do accept personal checks, but they are subject to funds verification prior to a certificate of sale being issued to the purchaser.

Q: Why do I have to register with a photo ID?

A: Registration with photo identification is required to make sure that we have accurate information on file in case there is some problem at the conclusion of a sale that needs to be resolved at later time.

Q: What about liens?

A: Every effort is made to identify and notify any and all lien holders of property that is seized for sale. This information is given in the item description and announced prior to sale. The Sheriff will give possession but does not guarantee clear title nor continued possessory right to the purchaser. Purchaser will be subject to all liens, sales tax and any other encumbrances. The Sheriff, by certificate of sale will transfer the right, title and interest of the tax payer in and to the property at the time of levy.

back toSheriff's Home Page